Saturday, February 19, 2011

Creative Process

Inspiration>Idea>Concept>Trial>Refine>Product

As a graphic designer running a  design business my designs are 90% for a client wanting some sort of ending product. So with that said I usually am kind of forced to begin my process with thinking about the ending product whether it may be  a website, buisness card, logo, etc. But the point is they come to me saying I need "variable". I then start from there and then go back to the inspiration stage. That is where I go find a little more about the business they run and what they do, then grab some thoughts/ideas from other companies that are similar. That is where my ideas start to flow in and begin the conception process. This is the biggest part of the process for me. I will usually sketch out the layout I am wanting to design, then go in and redraw it with the pen tool or whatever I need to do to recreate my sketch but look clean and crisp. Then after the first version I will usually send a picture to the customer and let them critique and give input on it thus far. Then continue to make changes to their liking and whatever else I think it needs for another revision. Send it back and repeat the process until client is happy. Then they have their final product.

Let my take you through the process of the site we are currently working on designing:

Here is a screenshot of what the client currently has as their website, and wants to change the feel of their site to a more professional and cleaner look for their customers.






Here is the sketch of what we have as an idea we want to head towards in designing the updated look of the site.



This is a first concept with working with the graphics of the idea we had brainstormed. This was to play around with the style they already have and we found out ourselves that we did not like.

We then expanded on our first idea and come up with a much better color scheme for the concept. The client wants to stick with the large main image on the homepage. We want a design that will direct the customers to view their products so we put a ribbon on the main image and that would correlate with the slideshow as the image changes with the different products. Then also their information in the About, LEP Lighting, and Services section gives a little blurb about each but then you can view more information on each.


 With this revision all we did was change the main header so that the customer can see the featured product as well as other views of that product and a little information bit about that product all on the main page to help promote that newly developed product. Then also within that is a browse products tab to view all of their other products they have.



As for this version of the design, we swapped the navigation bar and logo in the header. Also we are planning on rather than using the slideshow in the main large image, we are going to keep that static, but in the right side section of the page below the main image will be the slideshow of the newly developed products available along with their descriptions. With the Ahout information and Products information, we thought it would be a good idea to style it this way to make it easier readable, and a little more formal. In the footer of the page we have added the search bar and re styled the layout a bit.



We do not have our FINAL PRODUCT completed yet so I wont post that part yet but when we complete the final design I will be sure to add that to my blog for you to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment